Thursday, November 20, 2014

(Lesson Plan) Say/Do 9: Teaching Grammar and Vocabulary

Say

Pathways to the Common Core
When Kids Can't Read
Conventions of Standard English Writing and Speaking pt. 1 and 2
The Grammar Workshop

Vocabulary and grammar instruction has to been one of the more challenging aspects of teaching ELA.  Not because these aspects are particularly difficult, more because of how dull and dry these subjects can be for students.  The videos highlight the importance of helping students grow their vocabulary, and master standard English grammar.  

I like that other forms of English are valued in the Common Core.  Just last week in my home languages lesson, I taught students about dialect and how these can be used in their creative writing.  Dialogue formatting was something I picked up on my own.  None of my teachers or professors really took the time to go over a pretty basic aspect of writing that readers see in nearly every short story and novel, so much so that the nuances go unnoticed by many readers.  By teaching dialogue I was able open up a natural avenue for students to bring in their home languages into their writing.  Some students were hesitant when I asked them whether it was okay to use ain't, but they were receptive to using ain't and other "slang" words in a short story assignment I gave them.  My personal favorite phrase was "throwing shade," which means to trash talk or denounce a friend.  Throwing shade seems like a modern version of "cast in a bad light," but I personally prefer the imagery in throwing shade.

Building vocabulary needs to consist of connections like the one I just made.  There are several approaches to vocabulary that draw on what students know to help them bridge the gap to understanding new words.  Having students learn through examples and non-examples is one way to do this.  Having students define new words with simple, "student friendly" definitions is another method.  Vic's "visual vocab" has students studying one word at a time to produce a visual/definition product that can then be used as a tool to help other students learn that one.  One of my personal favorite methods that worked for me as a student was writing a paragraph using vocabulary words.  I made a mindless, but mildly humorous story on each of vocab quizzes for AP English.  As a writer I enjoyed it, but many students struggled applying new words like this on the fly.

The grammar workshop article provided answers for many of my questions surrounding grammar instruction.  Namely, how do I make this stuff fun and engaging?  I have experience with mentor texts and try to implement them whenever possible, but the show and tell essays were a neat approach that I think would be useful in a regular ELA classroom for getting students to apply particular grammatical skills.

Do

 A lesson plan where I tried to have students apply their knowledge of protagonist/antagonist dynamics, conflict, and dialogue to write their own short story.

https://sites.google.com/site/wparrinternshipa/section-ii-lesson-plans/acf-lesson-plans/lp-5-the-most-dangerous-game

1 comment:

  1. Will,
    I love what you have written about vocabulary and grammar. I have also viewed these two subjects as the most boring parts of English class. Now, I am realizing that it was because of the way my teacher presented the information. If we create innovative ways to teach grammar and vocabulary, students will be more inclined to appreciate what they are learning. Furthermore, I also wrote about how grammar and vocabulary need to be clearly connected to what we are studying in class. If students can see this connections, they will be more likely to see why it is important that they learn the information. Altogether, I enjoyed reading your “say/do.”

    Sincerely,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete