Sunday, November 30, 2014

Say/Do 10: Organizing Units with Literature

Pathways to the Common Core
Response & Analysis 
"Building Bridgings"
"What Else? Other Approaches"

Say

Probst raises many good points on pairing texts that I had not given much thought.  He offers two possibilities.  One where, "The teacher chooses as haphazardly and casually as the typical reader might choose his books."  In this scenario, the paired texts are unlikely to be similar or contrast well enough to provoke rich class discussions.  The other scenario is where the texts fit so well together that the teacher may inadvertently hinder discussion.  If students find two paired texts have a common theme that disagrees with the teacher's preconceived theme, the teacher then must decide whether to stay the course or "monitor and adjust."

Gallo's chapter "Building Bridges" emphasizes pairing young adult novels with the canon to engage and scaffold students into the less familiar literary canon.  Selecting the right theme for a given unit can be difficult, but I find the process of collecting texts that fit that theme to be quite fun.  I wonder if I would have enjoyed Shakespeare in high school if my teachers had paired Romeo and Juliet or Macbeth with other texts.  I never read young adult novels until I was in college so it is hard to say how much they would have influenced my willingness to ploy through 16th-17th century lit, but I can say that I would have a better grasp of the canonical text's bigger picture.


Do

This is an article I used in conjunction with "The Most Dangerous Game" this semester.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/weird/robert_hansen/7.html


No comments:

Post a Comment